Monday, November 14, 2005

Quiet game night and busy work days...

Sunday afternoon a few of us ended up getting together to play some dominoes with drinks in my lounge. By the time we arrived there it ended up being a whole slew of people playing poker, dominoes, cribbage, and pool. It turned in to family game night! Several people came by from the fire department along with numerous others. I'd venture to say a good time was had by all! Unfortunately, it was another night with not enough sleep. It's funny how the sunlight tricks you like that and it can all of a sudden be after midnight yet look just like three o'clock in the afternoon. I was a little tired at work today but no big deal. Oh, I also saw my first skua (I think) earlier yesterday morning. He was just sitting there on the dirt right outside of 155 (the main building with the galley, store, etc.) and I nearly walked right on top of him. I'm guessing that even though I had no food, he still might have pecked me to death for that!

So, as I mentioned, the morning started off with lots of yawns and not enough coffee. By the afternoon we'd done our morning safety training, inspections, super-big weekly truck checks, cleaning and maintenance, training, had a town MCI training/meeting in the firehouse, driver training and the usual mediocre meals. After dinner those of us who hadn't yet had a turn continued playing around doing training on the "Denver Drill." We were all having such fun and trying different ways that it was nearly eleven pm when our officers came out checking on us and suggesting that we could go to bed now. Again, that whole daylight thing throwing us off. There were some techniques that were new to me and we were all having a lot of fun working out different ideas for ways to do this rescue. One particular way that was super slick and done in well under three minutes was to have the same two people in but one kick the victims feet against their rear and pull the person forward onto their feet with simple leverage. Then the second rescuer dives in, lays on their back on the floor, places their feet straddling the scba and then both rescuers push against one another and "airplane" the victim out! Very cool! Kyle was the victim nearly every scenario and was a true champ. On top of it all we were working hard (which felt great), laughing and having fun through out all of it. Diane and I partnered up and did the drill as fast and even faster than some. It was lots of good hard-work fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home