Monday, October 31, 2005

Which did come first?

So these are the things that become intellectual conversation down here... Who delivers the different size animals? Is it baby storks that deliver the baby mice and then as they get older they are allowed to move up to deliver the baby puppies and elephants? Hey wait... the bigger question is who delivers baby storks??? Then again, what about baby fish? What we came up with is that pelicans are the contract workers for the storks to deliver newborn creatures of the deep. It can't really be anything else, can it?

It's been a good day or two down here. Yesterday turned out to be much busier than originally planned. After returning from Ice town in the morning I helped clean up the remnants of the Halloween Party to which I was unable to attend. It was quite the party and I can see how it's the "Party of the Year." The costumes were amazing and it sounds like everyone had a great time. After that I partook in Sunday Brunch, bought a case (24 cans-the only way they sold it) of Diet Coke for $14 which I only bought because there has been none here for months and I've been dying for something bubbly, toured Crary Lab and played in the tropical 28 degree F water of the aquarium touch tank, watched "Like Water for Chocolate" in the coffee house, went to Burger Bar for some tasty fried French fries and tots (even whipped up a little fry-sauce deliciousness), and then to the Sunday night lecture which was a father/son team of artists. There work was pretty interesting and fun to see views of places on the continent that I'll not get to visit.

Work has been busy with the usual activities and chores and another hour of drive time and pumping practice for my D/O class. I continue to get positive feedback on how I'm doing with the practical parts of the class so that feels good. I hope it continues! Eeck! I enjoyed the first Diet Coke I've had in a month and it was as delicious as I'd expected. Then again, for the price it should have been. I also had training in dispatch this afternoon so I'm guessing that more of us will start helping out in dispatch during meals and such. I got another box today of my books, videos and games so that was a pick-me-up too. Oh, and I can't forget, my first piece of flat mail with pictures of my adorable nieces and nephew. Thanks Suz! Now its down time and that often leads to goofing off. As Emily says, "Horseplay leads to hospital stay." (Of course with all the sarcasm that should be expected.) There are a couple of guys that are just too funny and I do always appreciate the laugh!

I've been in much better spirits the last few days and actually feeling downright cheery! Maybe having a roommate helps, maybe I've become more accustomed to it here, and then again, maybe it was a simple shift in attitude and perspective. Whatever it was, I'm happy to be out of my funk and enjoying this tremendous experience for what it is.

Now that it's nearly bedtime, I just realized that it was Halloween today. Other than the less than tasty looking black jello with marshmallows in the chow line in the galley I'd have forgotten altogether. Huh, whadya know. Not a single candy corn in sight...anywhere on the entire continent.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey sport don't feel so bad about the 14 bucks for cokes. A buddy of mine over in the desert said the cheapest he's found them is for about 4 bucks a can... do the math for your 24 pack. 4 damn dollars for a warm coke! I bet yours stay pretty cold don't they. HAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Rob.

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

.....as cheap as I am, I would pay 14.00 for a coke and even more for the right ice!

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home